viernes, 3 de julio de 2009

Limpiar o no limpiar

Woman Enough

Because my grandmother's hours
were apple cakes baking,
& dust motes gathering,
& linens yellowing
& seams and hems
inevitably unraveling
I almost never keep house
though really I like houses
& wish I had a clean one.
Because my mother's minutes
were sucked into the roar
of the vacuum cleaner,
because she waltzed with the washer-dryer
& tore her hair waiting for repairmen
I send out my laundry,
& live in a dusty house,
though really I like clean houses
as well as anyone.
I am woman enough
to love the kneading of bread
as much as the feel
of typewriter keys
under my fingers
springy, springy.
& the smell of clean laundry
& simmering soup
are almost as dear to me
as the smell of paper and ink.
I wish there were not a choice;
I wish I could be two women.
I wish the days could be longer.
But they are short.
So I write while
the dust piles up.
I sit at my typewriter
remembering my grandmother
& all my mothers,
& the minutes they lost
loving houses better than themselves
& the man I love cleans up the kitchen
grumbling only a little
because he knows
that after all these centuries
it is easier for him
than for me.
© Erica Mann Jong

2 comentarios:

Elvira dijo...

That is the question...

"& the man I love cleans up the kitchen
grumbling only a little..."

Jajaja! Genial! ¿Has visto una frase de Erica Jong que puse en mi blog anteayer? Un beso

alestedemadrid dijo...

La he visto. Erica es una chica lista que suele decir lo que piensa... Buena tarde. Un beso