viernes, 2 de abril de 2010

Susan Sarandon: starying awake and curious


I was in a ski resort around the time of the Gulf War, and I had my baby in my arms, and I was by myself, and a man came up to me and called me a Commie cunt and then walked into a bar. I was really shaken because of the extremity of his hatred. I followed him into the bar. He basically just kept laughing at me, he identified himself as a Marine - as if that explained things; I mean, I can't believe Marines are that cowardly, and if he felt that strongly I don't know why he wasn't in the Gulf to begin with, which I pointed out. I didn't say anything particularly astute; it wasn't a satisfying confrontation. He was smug and sitting on his barstool making fun of me and I was standing there shaking with a kid in my arms. Why did you follow him into the bar? Because it was important for me to understand that, to not let him be anonymous. That's what distinguishes a creative person from a noncreative person - curiosity. I really think people divide in two classes, people who want to know and people who don't want to know [laughs]. We're in a culture where we're told not to know. Everything tells you don't ask questions. Every moment that you live you're preparing for death in a way, so that right there is creative. You create this entire life, you buy property, you have children - things that would seem to suggest some kind of permanence and control over your life - and in fact you have absolutely none. I guess because death is so frightening, it certainly is for me, you do spend a lot of your time allowing yourself to be lulled into some kind of complacency, and if you try to stay awake, that is a lifetime experience - to stay awake, and see things and not take things for granted. Whereas complacency kills the artistic impulse.

No hay comentarios: